Number of Position(s):
One (1) Positions
Tuesday 21st September 2021
Duration of initial contract:
Somaliland Non-State Actors forum SONSAF is a leading civil society platform that aims to engage all Somaliland Non-Stat actors by improving their capacity and position. Since its establishment in 2008, SONSAF’s mission and primary objective are to enhance non-state actor’s voice through better coordination and networking that contributes in helping Non-state actors to possess a vibrant space in policy dialogue arena especially, peace-building, security, democratisation, development sustainability and have concrete influence in formulating policies that address the needs of all citizens. Overall, civil society and nongovernmental organisations (NGOs) can influence individual behaviour and the institutions involved in all development sectors.
SONSAF is awarded an eighteen-month project entitled ‘Support Peaceful Elections (PEACE) programme in Somaliland 2021’. The eighteen months project is funded by the European Union, which has two main objectives:
- Monitoring and reducing electoral tensions through Election Situation Room (ESR) across Somaliland and
- Increasing Women’s, youth and minorities participation in Somaliland’s electoral and governance processes in the pre-election, election and post-election periods
- Objectives of the Facilitation
The facilitation’s overall objective is to provide training to the political parties’ women’s wing to help improve the success of female candidates in future elections. The successful candidate will have two days to prepare for the training, another two days to deliver the training and one day report writing. The report produced should evaluate the training provided detailing any challenges encountered.
Scope of Work
The facilitator is expected to provide two days of training to the political parties’ women’s wing. The facilitator will focus on the following key activities.
- The two-day training will focus on improving female candidates’ knowledge and understanding of electoral legislation to enhance their success in future elections. The training will be aimed at the political parties’ women’s wing, female candidates, their campaign teams and potential female candidates.
- Prepare all related training material, including; training schedule, training materials (PowerPoint presentations etc.), and discussion contents.
- Provide participants with a deeper understanding of how to plan and gain candidacy influence within the political parties.
- Inform participants on how to devise a documented campaign roadmap to effectively utilize time and resources.
- Empowering young women Encourage participants to exchange previous experiences and skills to conduct their campaigns successfully and efficiently.
- Produce a report documenting an overall assessment of the training and the challenges encountered.
The facilitator will directly report to SONSAF Project Coordinator.
- Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in research, law, human rights, political science, international relations or closely related discipline or relevant fields.
- A thorough understanding of electoral legislation in Somaliland, particularly the election law 91/2020, regional and district administration act 23/2019 and political parties act 14/2011.
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience, preferably in conducting assessments/research, workshop and capacity building, including participatory training approaches for Civil Society Organizations or NGOs.
- Excellent awareness of the Somaliland political environment.
- Knowledge of connections to relevant stakeholders, especially in Somaliland.
- Proven experience in training election female candidates.
- Should possess the ability to work with people of different cultural backgrounds irrespective of gender, religion, race, nationality and age.
- Good computer skills (Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, etc.).
- Excellent facilitation skills
- The ability to produce excellent written reports demonstrating analytical and communication skills in both Somali and English.
- Special preference will be given to suitably qualified female candidates.
- Key Deliverables:
It is expected that the facilitator will produce the following deliverables:
- Preparation of training: The facilitators will prepare all training material required to deliver each training session successfully and this includes; training schedules, presentation slides, handouts and discussion content.
- Provision of training: The facilitator will deliver two days of face-to-face training to the political parties’ women’s wing.
- A final report: The facilitator should produce a report documenting an overall assessment of the training and the challenges encountered. The final report should be submitted to SONSAF
- Time Frame
It is essential that the training is conducted within a tight deadline; therefore, the selected facilitator must adhere to the agreed training schedule.
The selected expert will work under his own accord and will be required to travel to the training location in Hargeisa.
If successful, the engagements or working days will be 5 days, and remunerations will be paid based on the tasks carried out. The facilitator will not work or be reimbursed for days beyond the maximum approved working days without prior written approval from SONSAF.
Documents to be included when submitting the proposals:
Interested facilitators/Firm must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:(Please group all your documents into one (1) single PDF attachment as the system only allows upload of one document):
- Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references
- Cover Letter, outlining the main methodological approaches planned for the delivering the training.
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the post.
- Two (2) samples of previous work (in English/Somali).
To be submitted no later than 19th September 2021,
At 4 pm, to email address: email@example.com