CONSULTANT/FIRM TO CONDUCT CAPACITY ASSESSMENT
Number of Position(s)
One (1) Position
Somaliland Non-State Actors forum SONSAF is a leading civil society platform that aims to engage all Somaliland Non-Stat actors by improving their capacity and position. Since its establishment in 2008, SONSAF’s mission and primary objective are to enhance non-state actor’s voice through better coordination and networking that contributes in helping Non-state actors to possess a vibrant space in policy dialogue arena especially, peace-building, security, democratization, development sustainability and have concrete influence in formulating policies that address the needs of all citizens. Overall, civil society and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) can influence individual behavior and the institutions involved in all development sectors.
SONSAF is the lead applicant project entitled: Strengthening the operating environment of CSOs ability to participate in advocacy for policy change and equality of marginalized groups. The three years’ project is funded by the European Union, which two main objectives.
- To increase the capacity of CSOs to engage in policy dialogues and decision-making at a national and regional level.
- To create a conducive operating environment to promote the interests of women and vulnerable groups.
- Overall objective of the consultancy
The consultancy’s overall objective is to produce an in-depth institutional capacity assessment of six umbrella organizations focusing on policies and other internal procedures. After the assessment, identify and recommend feasible and time bound policy changes that can be implemented during the project period.
- Scope of work
The consultant is expected to engage with the 6-umbrella organization in competing the assessment. The following key activities will be carried out by the consultant:
- To conduct desk review of the current umbrella constitutions, bylaws, policies, internal procedures and other relevant documents related to this assignment.
- Carry out gap analysis on mandates and organizational structures, identify capacity gaps of the umbrella organizations. Assess umbrella’s board of directors and secretariat.
- assessment of performance and adaptation level of standard operation procedures (SOPs)
- Map out assessment stakeholders including umbrella organizations, line ministries, implementing partners and develop monitoring role on the enactment of organizational policies.
- Using the information gathered during the assessment, propose policies changes that will create enable environment for a better coordination between the umbrellas and member organizations.
- Provide feedback to umbrella organizations on the identified gaps (assessment report) and develop policy improvement changes.
- Organize briefing/validation workshop and present findings of the assessment report based on the feedback gathered during the assignment. Submit final report after the contributions from the participants.
The consultant will directly report to the program manager
- SONSAF responsibilities
- Assist in coordination with umbrella organizations
- Review assessment progress and provide feedback as necessary
- Organize assessment validation and launch event.
- Review current policies include but not limited constitution, bylaws, policies, internal procedures
- Conduct umbrella meeting with the board of directors and secretariat to better understand organizational governance and leadership. Adopt participation techniques to get relevant assessment information.
- Review and provide feedback on the current policies in each umbrella organization
- Propose policy resources that can be developed during the project period.
- Brief the umbrella organization about their policy gaps
- Active engagement during the validation and launch events
- Key deliverables
Inception report: Summary of consultant one-to-one meetings with the umbrella organizations, focus on the findings of the current policies after meeting with the board of directors and the secretariat staff.
Monthly progress report: The consultant shall prepare monthly report to SONSAF
Final Report: The final report of this assignment shall consist at least the following sections.
- Maximum four pages summary providing, background, findings, recommendations and lesson learnt
- Main report, detailed report consisting of maximum 25 pages.
- Consolidated annexes
Description of tools: framework and questionnaires
- Time frame
The consultant must conduct assessment activities and produce final report within three months period.
- Duty station
The duty station of this assignment is Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Qualifications, skill and experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in research, law, human rights, political science, international relations or closely related discipline or relevant fields.
- The consultant should possess working experience in Somaliland regions and experience working with regional and international organizations.
- Minimum of five (10) years of relevant experience, preferably in conducting assessments/research, workshop and capacity building, technically professional for organizational development and assessment tools, organizational capacity assessment including participatory training approaches for Civil Society Organizations or NGOs.
- Familiar with organizational capacity assessment tools and organizational capacity assessment framework.
- Knowledge of connections to civil society organizations in Somaliland.
- Proven experience in evaluating civil society organizations
- The Consultant should develop approaches, methodology and information collection tools.
- Ability to conduct in-depth analysis and reach relevant conclusions in the specific area of SONSAF project.
- Should have the ability to work with people of different cultural background irrespective of gender, religion, race, nationality and age.
- Good computer skills (Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, etc.).
- Excellent facilitation skills
- The ability to produce excellent written reports demonstrating analytical and communication skills in both Somali and English
Documents to be included when submitting the proposals:
Interested consultants/Firm must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
(Please group all your documents into one (1) single PDF attachment as the system only allows upload of one document):
- Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references
- Cover Letter, outlining the main methodological approaches planned for the assignment.
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the assignment
- Two (2) samples of previous work (in English/Somali) similar to the assignment (links can be shared as well)
To be submitted no later than 22 February 2023
At 4 pm, to Email address: email@example.com